Thursday, July 11, 2013

Throwback Thursday!

Yay! I'm ready for some Throwback Thursday!


 

Today I'm taking you back to my Patterning Musical Chairs Game!
I don't teach math or 1st grade anymore, but this was such a fun game my 1st graders loved! Makes me miss it a little...;-)

So here is my Original Patterning Musical Chairs Post

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Posted Originally on January 18, 2012

This week we are focusing on patterns in math. We are going over repeating patterns and growing patterns. Yesterday we played a SUPER fun and engaging game! It is called Patterning Musical Chairs.

So this is how you play!

First you pass out manipulatives to your students to use to create a pattern on their desk. Each student creates only 3 units of their pattern. You can either have them make a repeating pattern or a growing pattern. We just did repeating patterns on this particular day.
 The extra manipulatives stay in the middle of the table for the game.  Then you play music as students travel around the room. (my kids danced to kidbop :)) When you stop the music, each student rushes to find a desk. When they sit down they must figure out the pattern at that desk and then add 1 more unit onto the pattern.  You can do as many rounds as you think you can. We did about 4 or 5 rounds. At the end they return to their original desk. They check their own pattern to see if it was correct. 

The kids LOOOVED it! A couple of them kept saying, "You're supposed to take away a chair!" I just said that this was a different kind of musical chairs and we wanted everyone to be able to add on to a pattern each time. 

This is such a great way to get all of the students involved and engaged!  

Here are some pics of my class enjoying the game!











~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

To join the linky, head on over to The First Grade Parade!

Don't Forget! Today is the last day to enter my giveaway. 2 free sets of my New Classroom Decor Pack! 
Head on over to THIS POST to see how to enter and/or head over to my Facebook page to enter! :) 



Good Luck!



1 comment:

  1. We just found your blog and love your ideas. Thanks for sharing. We are your newest followers.
    Kristy
    Teachingtimes2

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments make me smile!