Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Main Idea and Details!

Hey Y'all! I just found some pictures that I took of an activity that I did with my class at the end of last year to focus on main idea and details. We were doing an author study of Ezra Jack Keats at the time and we read "Regards to the Man in the Moon". GREAT story! I Love all of his books! 

Since the book is about some kids taking an imaginary trip to the moon, I used a moon to represent the main idea and stars to represent the details. I told them they needed to tell at least 3 details, but could do more if they liked. I had a few that went above and beyond and gave more. This was a very simple activity to prepare for because I just used a large white circle for the moon and 3 yellow stars from our dye cuts. I also took some long strips of paper for the students to use if they wanted to make it a pop up! The kids LOVED that!

Here are the materials each student used. 

After they completed the main idea and detail parts on their project, they decorated with crayons. Here are some final student products and my bulletin board display.




Just a little something to keep in mind if you do an author study with Ezra Jack Keats or if you are focusing on main idea and detail. :)

6 comments:

  1. I love this idea!!! It will fit perfectly during our space unit!!! Thanks, girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful idea, filing away for my space unit.
    Barbara
    happyteachingfirst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful idea and very cute!

    I would love for you to hop over and visit me when you get the chance. I just shared 2 inspirational poems...or I at least hope they inspire you. =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog! I just found it through pinterest (your class economy) and am your newest follower. You have so many awesome ideas.

    Teach~Play~Smile

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! Love this activity. Glad to have found your blog.

    ✣ Miss Nelson✣
    Miss Nelson’s Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you foor sharing this

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments make me smile!